Saturday, January 10, 2015

2014 Music Moments - Tweedy

I know it's 2015 but I'm still looking back at my lasting music memories of 2014 and the song "Low Key" by Jeff Tweedy on the album Sukierae was another lasting pleasure for me.

The story behind this song and project in general is personally compelling on several levels.

First Tweedy is from my hometown of Bellelville, Illinois, and for that I'll always be proud of the Uncle Tupelo/Wilco/etc musician who made it big...I've been watching Tweedy develop since the late 1980's and it's been fun and I'm proud of anyone who can come out of Belleville and make it big (Jimmy Connors, Buddy Ebsen, Jay Farrar, Bob Heil of the Heil talk box fame, etc).  Secondly, we're of the same generation and that goes a long way when it comes to relating to a musicians place and experience and influences.  Third, I have a couple boys who are aspiring drummers...which leads me to the most compelling part of this song:  Tweedy's 18 year old son, Spencer, is a drummer and they recorded this together with Dad on guitar and vocals and Spencer on drums...how sweet is that?  The kicker is, the drums sound incredible...and when the blend with the great guitar fills, back up singers and Tweedy's airy "ahhh, ahhh's"...it just makes for a great, accessible, fun song.

To just hang out with one of your kids when they are 18 and be able to be goofy and creative while also making a record that is timelessly fun and straight up great.  What a document to look back on...what a way to be dad/son...I love that.

When I say goofy, watch the official video to see what I mean:


To be at the point in your career where you can pretty much do whatever you want and have it be received and available to such a wide audience is a feat.

This song came to me via an appearance on the Colbert Report back in September (the video is no longer available).  And the thing that really caught me was the incredible drumming.  That is my favorite part, it is fantastic and crisp and simple.  And of course, Tweedy is able to surround himself with really talented musicians and the guitars and backing vocals are top shelf.

In fact, I was smitten with the duo of back up singers...their look and sound is compelling.  You can see them in this video.  I know it's dangerous to comment on a person's look, esp. women, but the grey hair adds legitimacy, it's provocative...both age appropriate and empowering and I approve of this on all levels:


This is just a blast of fun and hasn't gotten old or stale like a pop record...Low Key is one of my favorite songs of 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment